A step by step guide on how to brew Hawaiian coffee with a coffee dripper. Using Puna Kazumura, 100% Puna coffee from Big Island Coffee Roasters.
Melitta Brew Guide
What you'll need:
- Burr Grinder
- Coffee Dripper w/Melitta filter
- Fold filter along the seams and place in the dripper.
- Rinse with hot water to remove paper taste.
- Preheat your mug or brewing vessel with hot water.
- Measure out 22g of freshly roasted coffee (about 3 tbsp.)
- Grind coffee to medium size consistency.
- Add grounds to dripper, and gently shake to level out the coffee bed.
- Start timer and pour about 50g of hot water, about 200-205℃
- Saturate all of the grounds.
- Use a 16:1 ratio of water to coffee; 352g of water to 22g of coffee.
- After 30sec. pour another 150g of water slowly.
- Pour water in a circular pattern. Be sure to reach the edges of the coffee bed. First pour should take about 30 sec.
- Let water drain for 30 sec.
- Continue pouring water until you reach a total of 352g or about 12oz of coffee. It should take about 30 sec. to finish pouring all of the water.
- Allow water to drain for another 30-60 sec. Total brew time should be 2:30-3:00 min.
- Remove dripper and discard filter.