A step by step guide on how to brew Chemex coffee, featuring 100% Hawaiian coffee from the Ka'u district.
Chemex Brew Guide
What you'll need:
- Burr Grinder
- Place filter in Chemex.
- Ensure tripled sided portion is on same side as spout.
- Rinse filter with hot water.
- Discard water and preheat your mug.
- Measure 40g (about 6 tbsp.) of freshly roasted coffee.
- Grind coffee to a medium, about the size of sea salt.
- Place coffee in filter.
- Gently shake to level the coffee bed.
- Zero out scale and start timer.
- Pour 100g of hot water about 205°F, onto the coffee making sure to evenly saturate all of the coffee grounds.
- Let coffee bloom for 45 sec., the bloom releases the gases in the coffee.
- Pour another 150g of water every 45 sec., pouring in a circular pattern starting from the center and moving outward to the edges of the coffee bed to ensure all coffee grounds are saturated evenly.
- Continue pouring until you reach 600g, or about 20oz, of coffee. You should finish pouring all of the water in 3 min.
- The last pour will take about 1 minute to finish draining. Total brew time should be about 4 min. Remove filter and discard.
- Swirl coffee in the Chemex
- Pour coffee into your mug and enjoy!